All EQUTEX materials are waterproof and windproof and have a vapor permeability, “breathable". Wash the garment on a regular basis to maintain full functionality and avoid clogging the breathability with dirt. In addition to a waterproof membrane, all EQUTEX materials have a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treatment, which is a surface treatment of the fabric to make it dirt and water-repellent. If the outer fabric gets wet, the garment’s breathability is prevented and the wet/cold fabric hangs against your body - the membrane that sits on the inside of the fabric is still active and the garment is waterproof - but it can be experienced that the garment "leaks" when condensation forms on the inside of the garment. The garment then needs to be re-proofed, and we recommend that this is done at least once per season or more often depending on how much the garment has been used as the surface treatment will be worn off over time.
- Follow the care instructions on the label inside the garment.
- Brush off mud, sand, hay, and hair.
- Close zippers and velcros before washing and release adjustable cords on the hood, waist, and bottom. And don’t forget to empty the pockets of horse treats!
- Use a mild detergent suitable for technical waterproof/breathable fabrics, we recommend Nikwax Tech Wash. Household detergents can destroy the functionality of the fabric. Never use fabric softener, as it clogs the pores of the membrane and destroys the garment's breathability.
- Rinse the garment thoroughly and do not overdose on the detergent.
- Hang-dry the garment at room temperature.
- When re-proofing EQUTEX garments, we recommend Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-in. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Remember that a long coat is equal to two (2) garments and dose accordingly. Do not tumble dry.